Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Let the Baking Begin

Yesterday, I mentioned to my dad that since the holidays are nearing maybe I should advertise on facebook that I will take orders for baked goods, with profits going to New Hope Orphanages or child sponsorships via SEAPC.




This was after I made a batch of apples cinnamon bread which he couldn't stop eating and demanded that it go. Samples! I could make samples for people to try and then have an order form sitting next to the samples! Of course, once you get someone hooked, then they have to buy some, right? So I will be making samples and sending it down to his office and another office, thanks to him enlisting the help of a very generous business associate and brother in Christ. Pray that this goes well!



Also, here is a rough draft of the "Cupcakes for Cambodia" Story that will be attached to the order form so people will understand my heart and God's plan for this!


Cupcakes for Cambodia…
About a year and a half ago, I became seriously interested in baking. I realized how many kids my age didn’t know how to bake (or cook) anything from scratch, and immediately accepted the challenge of mastering home baking from scratch. I became obsessed with baking everything from scratch: if I was making cupcakes, both the cupcakes and frosting had to be made from scratch. It soon became a passion and filled up all my extra time; cupcakes became a particular specialty.

Years before my baking obsession had started, my dad became acquainted with a missionary who worked all over Southeast Asia building orphanages, schools, and starting micro-economic development projects. His specialty and obsession was walking and praying: through cities and villages and for people and over lands that would eventually become transformed into homes for orphaned and abused children. Our family knew we were supposed to be connected with this man and his ministry, SEAPC which stands for Southeast Asia Prayer Center. Around the holidays our families would get together and Mark would tell us about all the new and exciting projects that were going on. We supported them financially and in prayers, as well as participate in their Coins for Kids program to build orphanages and schools as well as support other special projects.

The spring of 2012 I was a senior in highschool, deciding what I was going to do with my future. Other students were filling out college applications and touring universities, but I had prayed that past December about what God would have me do with my future. I just didn’t think that college at that point was part the plan, so I patiently waited. By spring I knew I was supposed to go to work for the family business, which supported SEAPC as well as other ministries internationally, but I also knew that my passion for baking wasn’t and accident. I had a God given dream to use my skills and passion to further His kingdom; God had placed a dream in my heart to start a bakery and donate all the profit to Cambodia to fund orphanages and schools, or child sponsors.

I had the opportunity to visit Cambodia in September of 2012. It was a life changing experience. We toured 5 New Hope orphanages as well as several schools that are partners with SEAPC. They house about 400 orphans, with plans to build an orphanage in every province. Driving through the country I saw the conditions of some of the children living outside the orphanages, as well as heard stories of those who get dropped off at city dumps because their parents can’t feed them. When I got home, I knew it was time to become more active and help these kids. God has plans and dreams for these kids and a future. There were so many success stories I heard of kids who grew up in New Hope homes. I wanted to give more kids that opportunity. I knew it was time to start doing something to make that happen.

So this is how I came up with the idea for Cupcakes for Cambodia. Despite the name, I bake many other things including cakes, pies, bread, bars, cookies, brownies as well as any requests you might have. My goal is to make baked goods with excellence that will sell at a reasonable price and send the profits to build New Hope orphanages as well as sponsor children. 


Children at the Siem Reap orphanage


No comments:

Post a Comment