Thursday, September 19, 2013

Maybe It's Enough...

There are things that defy logic. Things that cannot be explained in a theory or comprehended by limited human knowledge.

Sometimes I think my life is strange. I talk to people around me, I step back and observe my surroundings and watch how others live. Why couldn't I be satisfied with going to university, getting a degree, getting married and raising a family? Why couldn't I be satisfied with a nice house in a neighborhood not too far from my parents. I could meet someone and fall in love, have 2 or three kids, send them to school to repeat the process.

Its great for some people. Everyone has different dreams. Some would think my dreams are crazy, unnatural, they would say I am pushing the envelope or think I was just plain weird. They're probably right.

And if I don't try my best to walk in love, I would say the same about them. But its not what I want, not really. I never wanted to go to college, I can't stand the suburbs. I've always wanted to travel, wild beautiful places tucked into the corners of the earth, places that seem untouched by the hand of man. I like different cultures and traditions and the way different languages sound as they roll of the tongue of a native speaker. I would be happy with a passport and a suitcase, my eyes wide, ears open.

I like how you can communicate with people without words. You can look into the eyes of a person and see a glimpse of their life. And for many its not easy, but a smile still manages to spread across their face. Pain has been washed away along with emotional distress. Images not meant to be seen by innocent eyes fade and the glorious light of hope and the idea of freedom grows where hate once choked it all out.

There are some who's eyes it is hard to look into. The pain is still there, still fresh. They are hopeless. There is no end of the day to day misery they are faced with and not matter what actions they take they find themselves sinking into a black despair as they are consumed by the circumstances around them. They don't know how to get out, they don't know any other way.

I heart hurts for people like this. I want to take their hand in mine. I want them to feel how life could be, how love could fill their hearts, how memories of the past could be swept away and hope could shine forth in their eyes. I want to wipe away tears and fill empty bellies.

I've been to some of these places and sat with children in orphanages. As much as I wish I had the courage to get up and share a story or sing a song or blow up animal balloons and tell jokes, I realize that is someone else's gifts and talents. Maybe it's enough to just love, to demonstrate that love by holding a child's hand or sitting next to them or giving them a hug because they don't have their mom and dad to hug them every day and tell them "I love you."

Those are powerful words. I think back in my life and I would definitely attribute my stability as a person, both in who I am and in my emotional state, to the love my parents and grandparetns constantly and consistently demonstrated. I was "princess" and "Dana Dee" and the apple of someone's eye. I think the least I could do is pay that love forward. Because who knows what that love could enable a child to do? It could build them up and maybe there dream is to go on to be a doctor, work in government, be an architect or missionary. Maybe their dream is just to be a mother and continue the cycle of love.




We can only do and be and demonstrate who we are and what our purpose enough. And we can love. And maybe that can change the world...maybe its enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment