Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pray for Cambodia!

Background Note: Basically there is political unrest in Cambodia right now due to the elections that were held July 28.


I used to get very upset about politics and the government in man. I would argue and fight with people, I would get sarcastic and cynical and disrespect the leaders of my country or foreign leaders who were doing a poor job in my opinion. But all of that is fruitless, and in fact will not bring change.

But prayer will.

How do we pray in times of intense struggle? What should we pray and how should we pray? We should always go back to God's word to find out what He says about it.
My favorite chapter regarding government and politics is Psalm 2:


Psalm 2 

1 Why are the nations so angry? 

Why do they waste their time with futile plans? 

2 The kings of the earth prepare for battle; 

the rulers plot together 

against the Lord 

and against his anointed one. 

3 “Let us break their chains,” they cry, 

“and free ourselves from slavery to God.” 

4 But the one who rules in heaven laughs. 

The Lord scoffs at them. 

5 Then in anger he rebukes them, 

terrifying them with his fierce fury. 

6 For the Lord declares, “I have placed my chosen king on the throne 

in Jerusalem,[a] on my holy mountain.” 

7 The king proclaims the Lord’s decree: 

“The Lord said to me, ‘You are my son.[b] 

Today I have become your Father.[c] 

8 Only ask, and I will give you the nations as your inheritance, 

the whole earth as your possession. 

9 You will break[d] them with an iron rod 

and smash them like clay pots.’” 

10 Now then, you kings, act wisely! 

Be warned, you rulers of the earth! 

11 Serve the Lord with reverent fear, 

and rejoice with trembling. 

12 Submit to God’s royal son,[e] or he will become angry, 

and you will be destroyed in the midst of all your activities— 

for his anger flares up in an instant. 

But what joy for all who take refuge in him!

I am reminded that we don't fight against people or political parties, but against powers and rulers of the darkness who have already been defeated in Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:3-6). Regardless of who is President, King, Prime Minister, or Ruler, God is creator and Jesus sits on the throne as King forever and ever. 

So we wage war in prayer. I strongly recommend getting a copy of Attack Lambs by Mark Geppert and learning how to wage war in your prayer life. Meditate on this Word in Psalm 2 and let the peace of God pass all understanding. 

He said if we ask, He will give us the nations for our inheritance. Ask for Cambodia. Pray for this nation, pray for the people, for their protection, safety and that those who don't know Jesus would come to know Him. 

We can take a nation without firing a bullet, without violent demonstrations and I believe that if we pray that God would send laborers and then be willing to answer if He calls, we can see a nation that was known for its killing fields rise up, baptized and washed clean and come together in peace and unity that only Christ can bring. 

My heart is knit together with my friends and family in Cambodia. I pray for them and for this nation and I ask you to join me now and pray also. Let's watch and see what God can do when we come together in a prayer of agreement! 

Thank you and please pass this along! 

No comments:

Post a Comment